Thursday, September 16, 2010

Another Hummingbird Moth


Nancy Miller sends us these pictures captured by her husband, Larry, of a White Lined Sphinx Moth, or Celerio lineata, another one of the Sphinx, or Hummingbird moths in the Sphingidae family and are usually called hornworms in their larval, or caterpillar stage.  Writes Nancy:
"This whitelined sphinx or hummingbird moth, has been gathering nectar on this lantana for several weeks.  Larry took this picture of me holding a stem and the moth came right up and was sipping nectar from the flower.  Then it visited a petunia right above my arm, and I could feel the air from the fast beating wings.  This was a way cool moment. "
I'll say!  More pictures follow:








Here is a picture of the caterpillar, courtesy of Iowa State University:




You can visit Nancy's backyard habitat garden by attending our Autumn Stroll garden tour this Sunday, September 19th from 12:00 to 5:00.  There will be a plant sale at that location as well.

2 comments:

  1. I saw one recently in my gardens as well, but I didn't have my camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool pictures Nancy! I love hummingbird moths. As you saw, they are so docile and carefree, you can even pet them!

    ReplyDelete